Pairoducks

Pairoducks

Friday, January 6, 2012

Building Propane Forge Burners



I built these burners using designs from Hagerson Forge. There is detailed instruction for how to build propane forge burners on this webpage as well.



Materials for burners and manifold:
QTY: Description:
(2) 3/4" x 8" Pipe Nipple
(2) 1 1/2" to 3/4 Reducing Coupling
(2) 1 1/2" Connection (for choke assembly)
(2) 3/4" Stainless steel flares (Zoeller Forge)



QTY: Description:
(1) 1/4" to 1/8" Adapter
(1) 1/8" T
(2) 1/8" x 1 1/2" Pipe Nipple
(3) 1/8" x 1" Pipe Nipple
(2) 1/8" Ball Valve
(2) 1/8" x 5" Pipe Nipple
(2) 1/8" Pipe Cap
(2) 7/16" steel 2 piece clamping collar




With the use of a Enco Mill I drilled a #58 or .0420" hole in the 1/8" pipe nipples. To find the center of the pipe nipple I placed it securely in the vice and measured the width of the vice jaws with a dial caliper. The pipe was 10mm wide almost exactly so I closed to the jaws of the caliper to 5mm and scribed a line down the center of the pipe with the caliper. I found the center of the length of the pipe, and then took a punch and marked where the hole would be drilled. I put the #58 bit into the chuck, lined the hole up and drilled it very slowly.



After a hole was drilled into each 1/8" x 5" pipe nipple, I milled a whole in the reducing coupling for the pipe nipple to slip into.



In order to drill this hole I clamped the burner into the vice of the mill with the reducing coupling hanging outside of the jaws. I found the center of the 3/4" x 8" pipe nipple using the same method as before. I got a measurement with the caliper, divided it in half and used the caliper to scribe a line on the pipe. I centered the mill on that line and then moved the mill down to the center of the reducing coupling. I used a 1/8" bit to drill a pilot hole and make sure it was centered and drilled the final hole with the appropriate size bit.



I welded the 2 piece steel clamping collar to the reducer bell to hold the 1/8" pipe nipple in place and adjust the nozzle to aim directly down the 3/4" pipe nipple flare shaft.



Finally, I tensioned on the stainless steel flares from Zoeller Forge.