Pairoducks

Pairoducks

Friday, July 18, 2014

Full Circle


I was feeling a bit burned out on working on the Leafspring, and Joelle had a friend visiting from San Francisco, so we decided to take him on a trip back out to the real world.  We spent 3 nights on the beach @ Toleak Point and explored the tidal shelf under the warm sun and the full moon.  It really rejuvenates the soul...


When we returned we went to the forge and I made a fro blade from an old leafspring.  I have been meaning to make a bigger fro so I can make shakes from some bigger cedar bolts I collected from the Hoh.  I designed this fro so a shovel handle can slide into the eyelet.  I did this for 2 reasons, first it's easier to store without a handle, and second because I don't have an extra handle and I don't want to make/buy one right now.


Here is a pic of the fro with the shovel inserted as the handle.  When I got home from the forge, I got to making shakes and I paneled underneath the bench I have been working on.


It was really rewarding to have a desired tool in mind that I need for a job, then go to the shop and make the tool, use it and install the finished shakes all in the same day.  This process has really come full circle after 2 years of practice.


Joelle also completed a really cool project I wanted to show.  She forged this knife from an old file.  We went to my friend Bill Dawson's house and while I was working on re-building rotted out rafter tails, Joelle used Bill's wet grinder to shape and then we tempered our first kitchen knife!


She put this antler handle on after getting some advice from Bill and with a final finish sharpen our first piece of custom cutlery is complete.