Pairoducks

Pairoducks

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Happenings...

While the days are long and the weather is hot a lot has been happening...


 First off, Jo finished painting her fade mural on the roof!


 These Barn Swallows are set to fly in to their sunset mural landscape.


The first door was hung yesterday.   I'm hoping to get the second set today!


The hinges arrived, they were previously in a hotel in Mill Valley, CA that was demo-ed.  You can see the Black Locust jambs and threshold in this pic as well.  I used black locust for the exterior wood because it is so rot resistant and I could get in trade with a friend.


The exterior side of the door...


I put on the furring strips with the help of my friend Steven.  These furring strips will allow fir a 1/2" gap behind the siding that will allow airflow to dry out any moisture.  Rain screens, in my opinion, are the best way to side in the Northwest.  Take advantage of airflow, whenever possible...

You can also see in this picture that the fascias are removed.  I pulled them off to paint all of the exposed wood from the rafter tails and the bottom of the plywood roof sheeting.  I got a cheap 8 dollar can of exterior paint from the re-store.  It makes a lot of sense to seal up all of the exposed exterior wood because it will begin to get the spotted black mold after a short time outside...


At the bottom of the furring strips I wrapped fiberglass mesh bug screen to stop unwanted visitors from venturing up into the rain screen space.  Thanks to Tyler Smith for this building envelope detail, and Rama Lash for the use of his staple guns... 


And the beginning of a loft ladder.  I forged these hand holds last week for getting up into the loft.


And I made a step out of a driftwood piece I carried for most of a coastal hike adventure.  Nobody shapes wood like the ocean shapes wood.  


You can see the simple forged brackets for the stair, and one cool moose...